Carmelite Monastery

To Visit The Carmelite Webiste

PLEASE CLICK HERE

“There is a tide in the affairs of men”, and in 1975 that tide brought the Carmelite Community to Malahide to continue here their contemplative witness to the presence and power of God in this 21st Century world.
The first evidence we have of the presence of the Carmelite nuns in Ireland is found in a reference in the Rinnucini Manuscripts and can be backdated to the 1640’s. Still in Dublin in 1661, they probably moved to Loughrea during the Williamite Wars (1690). In 1730, the Dublin Convent was refounded, first
in Fisher’s Lane (now St. Michan’s Avenue) and then on Arran Quay, where they kept a boarding school, as all nuns did at the time.
In 1788, the Community moved to Ranelagh, to the former Ranelagh Gardens and to a house in which the Protestant Bishop of Derry, Dr. William Barnard, had lived between 1757 and 1768. In their quiet home in the Dublin suburbs the Carmelites lived their contemplative life, as St. Teresa had wished, their prayers reaching out to the whole world, to all in sorrow and distress.

Thirteen Sisters came from Ranelagh in 1975 and were warmly welcomed and accepted into the Parish of Malahide, and the Carmelite Church at Seapark serves the Parish of St. Sylvester’s with Sunday Mass and weekday Masses.
In the year 2000, the Sisters opened the Edith Stein Prayer Room to facilitate individuals and groups for retreats or other religious purposes.

In the year 2011, the feast of St. Teresa of Avila, the Carmelite community of the Incarnation, Hampton joined the Malahide community. They came together under the new name, Star of the Sea.

The Carmelite Church is open daily until 6. p.m. The Sisters welcome those who wish to participate with them in prayer during the day.
Mon. – Fri: Morning Prayer 7.a.m. followed by Mass
Evening Prayer: 4.40 p.m.

STATEMENT

We are a women’s contemplative community, part of the worldwide Carmelite family in the tradition of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross. We trace our origin to a small group of Irish Women who came together in Dublin c. 1640 to begin living Carmel. Eventually they settled in Ranelagh and were there for almost 200 years until moving to Seapark, Malahide in 1975.

Our Purpose

As Carmelite women we are totally dedicated to God in love for the service of all people. Our aim is to be a centre of peace, a sacred space in the archdiocese that calls people to prayer and the experience of communion with God. We are also available to listen to those who come in need of a word of comfort or support.

In 1975 when moving to Malahide the diocese requested that we build a church that would facilitate the parish for weekday and Sunday Masses. Since then we have striven to provide a service that enriches all who participate in the liturgy here. We also welcome people to spend time in silent prayer and/or to join us in celebrating the Divine Office (books provided).

Regular Services

MASS TIMES
Sunday 9:0 a.m.
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m.

EXPOSITION

Sunday 5.00 – 6.00 p.m.

Members of the community are, of course, welcome to join in these services.

LITURGY OF THE HOURS

Every evening Evening Prayer (Vespers) 4:40 p.m.